Friday, December 16, 2005

God and Sports

I watched several sporting moments happen recently that caught my attention. I used to think athletes were so disingenuous when they pointed to the sky and credited God with their accomplishments.

I feel completely different now.

Reggie Whites number retired was the first time I got to think about this. Reggie White was one of the great athletes of the last 50 years, but more importantly he brought numerous people to God. Anyone who met him will conclude that he led by example and created opportunities for seekers to ask him Why? What?and How?

He used this opportunity to explain the gospel.

Next came Reggie Bush. In his speech after receiving the Heisman trophy. He first Thank God for giving him the opportunity. Not many in the press reported this fact, but I noticed it for the first time. Later he thanked his mother for "being a women of God", which allowed him to be successful.

The final time I noticed this phenomenon was when Andre Igudola was being interviewed after a Philadelphia 76ers victory. In the background you could see only one item in his locker. A book titled God's Play Book. A very subtle reminder of what is really all about. It turns out the book was written by Reggie White.

AMAZING!!!

No comments: